Robert E. Wells
Palo Alto, CA 94306 · firstname.lastname@example.org · .doc version
JOB OBJECTIVE: hands-on Software Project Leader / Architect / Senior Developer
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
· >15 years experience building innovative software systems that solve business problems effectively.
· Enthusiastic and passionate about building excellent software, and building great teams.
· Very rapid learner, voracious reader, good listener, effective writer and speaker, extremely organized and disciplined, good people skills.
· Strong hands-on technical focus, very customer oriented, and very good at managing people and plans.
· Current focus on web-based distributed applications in Java, JBoss J2EE application server, servlets and Java Server Pages (JSP), XML, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Java Messaging Service (JMS), Apache Tomcat, JUnit testing, Ant builds. Typically develop on Windows with Emacs or IDE, and deploy servers on Linux or Windows.
· Experienced with Oracle 8i schema design, SQL query optimization, PL/SQL and Java stored procedures, JDBC and CLI programming, pooled connections. Earlier experience with SYBASE and T/SQL.
· Long term focus on distributed and multi-threaded parallel processing: SOAP/WSDL/XML web services, Java RMI, CORBA, Java Threads, deadlock avoidance, robust error recovery, scalable high performance, security, extensibility, component architectures, design patterns & anti-patterns, and object oriented design.
· Familiar with Microsoft development environment: Visual C++, Excel VBA and Excel XML, COM, Active/X, ASP, IIS, MTS. Acquainted with .Net C#.
· Practice aspects of agile and extreme programming such as co-programming and regression unit testing, while depending on frequently updated project plans reviewed with stakeholders, and staged spiral development process, to keep projects accountable and on track.
2/01-12/02 ArQule, Inc., Menlo Park, CA, then Redwood City, CA (~400 person public drug discovery firm)
Vice President Software Engineering (worldwide responsibility 2/02-12/02)
· Directed Next Generation (NG) project for dramatic (>x10) performance improvement of Camitro platform. Personally designed new Oracle schema and transition plan. Used JBoss J2EE EJBs, JMS.
· Personally designed and built new SOAP web service interface implemented in Java using Apache SOAP&Axis. Validated it with Perl and Scitegic Pipeline Pilot clients, prototyped in Perl SOAP::Lite.
· Designed web service with XML dynamic configuration to support new predictive models by just deploying the model code and an XML configuration file for the new model or new model version.
· Met with customers to give technical briefings and refine requirements. Partnered and managed relationship with IBM Global Systems on capability to deploy turnkey Linux computational clusters for predictive modeling at customer sites, with minimized TCO.
· Introduced published schedules, project plans, and frequent reviews with stakeholders for all ArQule software engineering projects. Improved communication with users and other departments.
· Directed rewrite of robotics software in .Net C# and VB, and biological assay data management in VB.
8/99-1/01 Camitro Corp., Menlo Park, CA (~20 person chemo-informatics startup, now part of ArQule, Inc.)
Chief Software Engineer, then V.P. Software Engineering
· Personally designed, wrote, and debugged >50% of the Java code in the initial release.
· Defined software deployment business strategy and architecture, recruited and built team, located and used contractors and contract organizations as needed to meet quick deadlines and deliver the goods.
· Designed and story boarded initial GUI, supervised contract build, enhanced and extended many pages.
· Designed, built and successfully deployed secure Application Service Provider (ASP) model for delivering predictive ADME/Tox modeling to customers, using web interface to scalable computational Linux cluster.
· Key member of executive team that grew this in-silico predictive modeling startup, secured 2nd round of financing, and in January 2001 sold the company to ArQule, Inc. for $95 million.
(5/96-11/97) Belmont Research, Cambridge, MA (pharma clinical trial software startup, now in PPD Informatics)
Contract Senior Software Developer, ~10% time
· Designed and built Fold and Unfold (normalization and denormalization) visual components for TableTrans product, used to analyze clinical trial and adverse events data stored in Oracle.
1/96-7/99 Fidelity Investments, Boston, MA (in FMR fund management subsidiary of large financial firm)
Contract Senior Software Architect
· Designed and led team that built a new security authorization system, to allow Information Security group to easily control access to sensitive data across many different programs and systems.
· Designed and wrote set of Java applets that communicated via Orbix CORBA2 with C++ backend multithreaded authorization service, designed SYBASE schema and wrote T/SQL stored procedures.
· Designed and built Perl-CGI GUI, then rebuilt it as AWT Java applets for better performance.
7/90-12/95 BBN Domain, Cambridge, MA (~150 person data analysis software company, now part of Brooks-PRI)
Architecture Department Leader & Chief Software Architect
· Responsible for overall architecture, design, and development of flagship Cornerstone product, > 1 million lines of C++ code, guided >30 developers at peak. Highly interactive data analysis and statistics product.
· Conceived and led development of Apogee visual data pipeline component architecture framework using Microsoft OLE2, Visual C++, and MFC 3.0.
1/88-6/90 BBN Advanced Computers, Cambridge, MA (~120 person massively parallel supercomputer company)
Special Applications Department Leader
· Led team collaborating with Oracle on high performance parallel database transaction processing using BBN’s 128 processor Butterfly machines. Built parallel multi-threaded shared lock manager in C++.
· Built performance analysis tools, optimized multi-threaded applications.
1/77-12/87 BBN Technologies, Cambridge, MA (400-2000 person innovative consulting company)
Senior Software Designer, Team Leader, Programmer
· One of four senior developers who created the RS/1 scientific data analysis system in C, and ported it to Unix, VMS, Windows, etc. RS Series was very successful with over 100,000 worldwide customers.
· Key senior designer on Prophet II distributed workstation software for biomedical research, under NIH contract, in C. Built new byte code interpreter with 10X speed increase and >10X code size reduction.
· Created PEN text editor, BBN BitGraph firmware, SpaceGraph 3D software, and other cool stuff.
M.A. in Computer Science, University of Texas at Austin, GPA 3.9/4.0, 1976.
(Thesis used formal specification and proof system to construct secure & robust network system software.)
B.A. in Math, U.T. Austin, with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, GPA 3.5/4.0, 1974.
MEMBER: IEEE Computer Society, Assoc. for Computing Machinery (ACM).
PUBLICATIONS: See http://www.wellscs.com/robert/published.htm.